In August, we have ordered a new storage enclosure from supermicro, and a new server from dell, to extend the main storage and replace the server hosting it. After a long delay in building the enclosure and testing disks on the supermicro side, the deliveries were all completed in the first week of November.
We therefore planned the installation in Rocquencourt on 2020-11-18.
As the rack with the existing storage enclosures was almost full, we've decided to go ahead with the decommission of orsay, and to move uffizi to the almost empty rack next to it to make space. The list of operations planned was:
- decommission of orsay and the attached storage array
- removal of uffizi from the rack
- retrieving HBAs and NVME storage from uffizi to move them to the new server
- rack the new server in place of uffizi
- install the new storage enclosure, connect it to the new server, and chain the other supermicro enclosure to it
- reinstall of uffizi in the other rack
We've also decided to use our presence in the DC to perform the following pending operations:
- replace RAM in ceph-mon1 with the RAM bought in the summer
- reinstall ceph-mon1 from scratch to prepare it becoming a hypervisor
- add RAM retrieved from ceph-mon1 to db1.staging and storage1.staging